Daejeon, Republic of Korea
In 2008, a major demographic shift occurred when the urban population surpassed the rural population. 200,000 people migrated to cities every day, adding more than 70 million urban dwellers every year. The world's urban population is now expected to reach 60 per cent by 2030 and 70 per cent in 2050. Cities and other urban centers are contributing to sustainable development through economic growth, innovation, education and culture. Some 80 per cent of global gross domestic product (GDP) is created in cities. Cities have great potential, and making the most of it is critical for implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and for achieving the global sustainable development goals (SDGs).The UNOSD-led individual session will have an audience of approximately 100 key decision-makers and influencers of urbanization from across Asia Pacific, including:
The programme is provided in a separate document.
5. Schedule and Venue
UNOSD will host a session on “Local solutions to global challenges: Making our cities and communities more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable (to make) cities as part of the solution to sustainable development” during the 2017 Asia Pacific Cities Summit & Mayors Forum, taking place in Daejon, Republic of Korea, on the 10-13 September 2017. UNOSD-led session will be held on 12 September 2017, from 11:15 to 12:15 at Daejeon Convention Center (DCC).
This Forum is hosted by the 2017 APCS SECRETARIAT in collaboration with Daejeon Metropolitan City of the Republic of Korea. The individual session will be hosted by the UNOSD.
7. Expected Outcomes
It is expected that the participants of this UNOSD-led session will get the following:
Concept Note & Agenda for "Local solutions to global challenges: Making our cities and communities more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable (to make) cities as part of the solution to sustainable development" (Updated as of 09 August 2017)
- Moderator: Mr. Jong Soo Yoon, Head of UNOSD, Incheon, Republic of Korea
- Speaker 1: Mr. Jean D'Aragon, Sustainable Development Expert, UNOSD, Incheon, Republic of Korea
- Speaker 2: Mr. Sung-hwan Son, Advisory Ambassador for Green Climate Fund Cooperation, Incheon City, Republic of Korea
- Speaker 3: Ms. Meng Xin, Director of International Department of JiaCui Enviromental Promotion Center/SUC Programme Management Center, Beijing, China
- Speaker 4: Mr. Li Xiang, Head of International Department of JiaCui Enviromental Promotion Center/SUC Programme Management Center, Beijing, China
- Speaker 5: Ms. Laurence Kwark, Secretary General, Global Social Economy Forum (Gsef), Seoul, Republic of Korea